The Alaska Writers Guild is pleased to announce a NEW Quarterly Writing Contest, open to AWG Members and the public. These awards, described below, will be announced and presented at the monthly meeting or event following the quarterly contest deadline.
Awards Will Be Given to the Top Three Entries
First Place: $100 and a certificate
All entrants receive their scoresheet and written feedback for each submission.
***Entries must be received by midnight on the date specified below:
|Genre for Entries||Due||Winners Announced|
|Creative Nonfiction/ Memoir||February 23||March 21|
|Fiction (all genres)||May 25||July 18|
(Picture Book, Chapter Book, Middle Grade, Young Adult)
|August 24||September Conference|
|Poetry (all forms)||November 16||December Mix n' Mingle|
- AWG Members: First entry is FREE, $10 for each additional entry (up to three (3) total entries per contest).
- Non Members: $25 for the first entry, $10 for each additional entry (up to three (3) total entries per contest)
1. Format your contest submission(s) as a .doc, .docx, or PDF document. Use Times New Roman type, 12 point font, double-spaced, with 1" margins.
2. In the header of your first page, note the title, genre, and word count.
3. In the header of each subsequent page, note the title and page number.
4. All entries must be no longer than five pages, double-spaced. Your submission may either be a complete short story, or the beginning of a longer work.
5. Fiction and Nonfiction/Memoir: If you wish, you may also note the sub-genre of your entry alongside your genre, such as "Nonfiction/Historical," or "Fiction/Romance."
5. Children's Literature can be the text for a picture book, chapter book, middle grade, or young adult manuscript. Alongside your genre on the first page, please note which sub-genre of children's literature your submission fits, such as "Children's Literature/Picture Book."
6. Poetry: ALL forms of Poetry are accepted, and must not be longer than five pages, following the format guidelines noted above.
7. Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and not previously published.
8. Do not include art, any picture inserts, or attach any other embellishment files.
9. Register for the contest and submit payment here: Quarterly Writing Contest. You may enter up to three (3) entries per quarterly contest, noting the costs per entry above.
10. Forward your registration email, along with your entry document(s) as attachments, to: AlaskaWritersGuild.AWG@gmail.com. Change the subject of the email to "AWG QUARTERLY WRITING CONTEST ENTRY". In the body of your email, list the TITLE(S) of the entry/entries you are submitting.
11. Entries containing any reference (or hint) to the author's identity within the submitted story will be disqualified.
12. Obscene, offensive, defamatory, or libelous entries will be disqualified.
13. Late entries and those not meeting the above criteria will be disqualified.
14. All authors will receive an email as soon as possible after the scores have been tallied that includes their score sheets and any comments from the judges.
15. Payment must be submitted online via the provided link: